Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Back to the studio

After three long days of my day (and often night) job, I am looking forward to getting back into the studio tomorrow and Friday.  I have one song nearly finished (working title Falling) that rounds out at over 10 minutes.  I avoided writing an ending for it for a long time and then suddenly decided to start playing with time signatures and came up with an ending that my 12 and 10 year old sons say "Rocks".  The time goes from 11/8 to 6/8, to 7/8, 11/8, 9/8, and ending again with 11/8.  It was a lot of fun to write.  I hope to record the guide gocal for this track and begin them for a second track that is about half finished (working title Anthem).  Anthem looks to be at least 13 minutes long and could be significantly longer.  I should probably call it Soup, because I am incorporating at least 5 different song ideas into this one song.  So after I record some basic guide vocals, I plan on spending time writing transitions between the various parts.  I'm really finding the process of writing a true Prog Rock Anthem very challenging, but fun.

By the way, I found a great blog entry by Jem Godfrey  of Frost*, and many other musical endeavors, about rules for the DIY musician.  When I read it, I was surprised how much his style of writing and recording matched mine.  The main difference is that he is light years ahead of me in the process.  Check it out when you get a chance.  

Take care,
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment